Thursday, September 2, 2010

Discussion Question #1: Subjective and Objective Claims

     A subjective claim is basically a statement that is an opinion. This type of claim can not be proven true or false. Subjective claims are very common in everyday conversation. Recently, my roommate and I were talking about the upcoming NBA season. My roommate confidently said "I think the Miami Heat are by far the best team in the NBA." This is clearly an example of a subjective claim because there is no way to prove that this statement is true or false. The statement made by my roommate is based on his opinion and is not a factual claim.  There is no way for me to prove that the Miami Heat are not  the best team in the NBA.
     An  objective claim is a statement that is true or false. I recently used an objective claim when my friend asked me who the Giants played today. I responded by saying "they played the Rockies." This statement is an objective statement because it is a true statement. Even if I had made a false statement and said, "they played the Padres," that would still be an objective claim because that statement does not depend on what I think or believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment